When local musicians from the tiny Caribbean island of Trinidad created different notes on a discarded oil drum in the early 1930’s they could never have imagined the worldwide popularity and growth that was to follow.
Now steel bands have sprung up in all continents, and in the UK there are many towns and cities with a set of steel pan instruments (steel drums) either in a school, as part of a community project or a steel band.
CultureMix Arts is an organisation specialising in all aspects of steel pan music.
We offer advice on setting up your own steel band and provide:
• Instruments, from affordable starter sets to tailor made bespoke.
• Accessories including stands, pan sticks, cases and storage solutions.
• Tutors for workshops, demonstrations and presentations.
• Tuners to help keep your instruments in tip top condition.
• Training for those considering a creative career.
• Steel Bands for your function or event.
Our showcase orchestra RASPO, widely promotes steel pan music with it’s ensembles (steel bands) entertaining audiences at all types of events.
But what makes steel pans so popular? In my experience the two reasons that stand out are its immediacy and accessibility. Similarly to a piano, a simple phrase on steel pan is quick and easy to learn.
The steel pan instruments are welcoming and approachable for all age groups and abilities making it relatively easy to produce music that is satisfying to the player.
Chapter 1 – What is a Steel Band